Tough Tenacious Defense Against Felony DUI/DWI Charges
DUI/DWI is always a serious crime that carries harsh consequences, but with multiple convictions, the charges become increasingly serious and the penalties increasingly harsh. If you are facing second or subsequent driving under the influence (DUI/DWI) charges, it is important to work with an experienced Kansas City felony DUI/DWI defense attorney.
Scared? Anxious? Confused? Help Is Here!
At the law office of David M. Lurie, Criminal Defense Attorney and Counselor at Law, I defend clients against multiple DUI/DWI charges in Missouri and Kansas. With more than 45 years of experience as a lawyer, I have the legal knowledge and understanding to help you get the best outcome possible in your case.
Understand The Enhanced Penalties You May Face
The penalties increase with every DUI/DWI charge after the first one. Every alcohol-related conviction after the second is eligible to be charged as a felony, which includes a minimum of 10 days in jail before you are possibly granted probation.
In Missouri, there are five main categories for multiple-offense DUI/DWI charges:
- Prior offender (class A misdemeanor): With the conviction of a second offense comes a minimum of 10 days in jail before you are eligible for probation, even if you receive probation or at least 10 days of community service.
- Persistent offender (class E felony): The persistent offender designation comes with the third conviction. It brings a minimum of 30 days in jail or 60 days of community service.
- Aggravated DUI/DWI offender (class D felony): With three or more prior convictions come the “aggravated offender” designation and a minimum of 60 days in jail.
- Chronic offender (class C felony): If receiving a fourth DUI/DWI conviction, you will be a felon serving a minimum sentence of two years imprisonment.
- Habitual offender (class B felony): When you hit five, the courts will consider you a habitual offender. The same two calendar year minimum applies as an aggravated offender.
My Firm Offers Comprehensive Representation
I can help you with all aspects of your DUI/DWI charges, from the criminal charges to the administrative driver’s license hearings. I can also help you implement mitigation strategies for the drinking or other underlying problem that led to the drunk driving arrest. I can direct you to people who will help you get to the source of the problem and find the right treatment or recovery programs, if needed. When it is clear that you are already taking steps to recover from the alcohol problems that led to DUI/DWI charges, it can lead to much more lenient penalties even if you are convicted.
Seek Help From An Experienced DUI/DWI Defense Attorney – Contact Me Today
I offer free initial consultations so you can talk to a lawyer about your rights and options in defending against multiple DUI/DWI charges. Call 816-221-5900 or contact me online to discuss your case with an experienced DUI/DWI lawyer.